- Board of Directors: Board membership is low again. Please consider volunteering. There is so much work to be done to keep the Foundation vibrant and moving forward with the goal of maintaining and preserving the church and cemeteries. The Board meets once a month, on the fourth Tuesday, at 6:30 at the Keowee Key Activity Center. You would be welcome as a permanent member but if you are unable to serve permanently, you might attend a meeting to offer a service. Needed services include accounting skills…precisely to perform a one time audit and to assist in filing with the IRS as a non-profit 501(c)3 organization. Also needed is someone to help design a simple "out-building", one that will serve as an information center for visitors that come by when the church is not open. Some day this structure might house a restroom. We need access to water…probably by digging a well. If you have knowledge in this area, we are seeking guidance. Another issue we will need help with is reviewing and perhaps re-writing the HOPF by-laws. Obviously, grant writing expertise will be needed as well. Please check and mail the form below if you can help. We will contact you.
- "Fall for Gospel" is our annual event and will take place at the church on Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 2:30 in the afternoon. The musical entertainment will include David Wilcox, Director of Music at Saint Mark United Methodist Church in Seneca. He will play familiar gospel hymns on our pump organ. Returning by popular demand is the talented Greg Lambert playing both the guitar and the dulcimer. New to H.O.P. is the Son Shine Trio from Newry. This group includes Steve Williams and his family. A recently formed chorus, The Gospel According to Saint Mark, will provide old time gospel songs. Dave and Marian Keller will lead the audience in singing "The Church in the Wildwood"…very appropriate for our location. Everyone is invited. There is no charge for this event but donations will be appreciated. The Historic Old Church will once again ring out with the sounds that were meant to be. The program will be followed by fellowship and refreshments. Please mark your calendars and plan to attend.
- Grant: The Historic Old Pickens Foundation, with sincere gratitude, is proud to acknowledge a most gracious grant from the Opportunity Fund, a Donor Advised Fund of The Napa Valley Community Foundation. There is a stipulation that this grant be used to support a "matching" grant and it is to be used "for repairs to the church".
- Plan: Thorough research will be required. The Board plans to select a matching grant provider (or providers) that best meet the needs of HOPF and one that might include the following:
- Replace roof and repair fascia and soffit
- Erect a small building in order to provide information at times when the church is not open.
- Have water access and septic system on the property.
The HOP Board invited guests, Mrs. Dorothy Whitmire Sherard and Mrs. Fay Whitmire, to `join them at their August meeting. The purpose of the meeting was for board members to learn more about the town of Old Pickens and the beginning of the Foundation. The ladies shared family histories and their experiences growing up in the area.
|Clockwise around the table:
Please clip this form and mail it to The Historic Old Pickens Foundation, P.O. Box 149, Salem, S.C. 29676