- We continue to search for additional members but the board is pleased to announce that we have two new members. Dr. Charles Craig and his wife, having recently returned to the area from California, and the talented Greg Lambert have volunteered to become members. We welcome them in joining the current board members - Jack Parris, Reverend Frank Strickland, Joyce Brickett, Ned Lovell, Cathy Link and Carolyn Maddox The board meets monthly at 6:30 on the fourth Tuesday at Bethel Presbyterian Church in Walhalla.
- Our sincere thanks go to our "Friends" who continue to support Historic Old Pickens by renewing their membership. If you think it is your time to renew, or if you just wish to make a donation, please fill out the form here.
- We are sorry to report the passing of a long-time faithful board member. Jim Holmquist had grand dreams for HOP and, with your help, we hope to be accountable for fulfilling at least some of them.
- Church - inside and out: The brick work is done and looks great. The mason assures us that HOP will remain secure for many more years. It is time to re-paint the woodwork and we are looking for someone qualified to do the work. The replaced ceiling boards that have never been painted need to be painted. The hardware on the doors will be refurbished to go along with the period of the church.
- In earlier newsletters, there was mention of adding an outdoor structure near the church. Current plans include a covered area with one solid wall. This wall will display important information so people can learn about the area when the church is not open. A picnic table will be added as well as 4 or 5 benches spaced throughout the area.
- Even though the church is not open on Sundays during the winter, visitors continue to come. Many come to pay their respect to their ancestors buried there. Many come because of their interest in old historic places. Please remember to sign the sheet in the outside mailbox if you visit.
- Everyone is invited so please mark your calendars - Saturday, April 18 at 12:30. It is a free event. There will be music of the era provided by The Joyful Harps, a duet of talented ladies that will test the acoustics of the church with their beautiful harp music. Back by popular demand will be the Reverend Greg Lambert and his guitar. Included in the program will be a Canteen Memorial Service provided by the 16th S.C. Volunteers Camp 36 Color Guard. Refreshments will be served after the program. Hoop skirts or not, come join us for wonderful music, fellowship and fun.
- Thanks to board member Reverend Frank Strickland, we now have a program to promote and educate the public about the Historic Old Pickens Foundation. It is about 20 minutes long and meant to be shared with groups. If you belong to a church group, civic organization or club, please think of HOP when you are planning your programs. It covers the history of the area, the church and cemeteries and future goals of the foundation. If you are local and wish to reserve the program on a specific date, indicate on the form below or call Rev. Frank Strickland at Bethel Presbyterian Church in Walhalla.